DAAD Master's Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance (PPGG)
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers a limited number of scholarships to highly qualified applicants from Africa, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia as well as from countries in the Middle East, within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme. Further information on the programme and a detailed list of countries can be found on the DAAD webpage.
The application period for DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme scholarship candidates for the academic year 2023/24 is closed!
The next chance is to apply for the academic year 2024/2025. The application period is from 1 June until 31 July 2023.
Before applying, please carefully read the current announcement by DAAD and the FAQs.
Please note that all applications for a DAAD scholarship need to be submitted directly to the university. BThere is no additional application to DAAD required.
The application form for a DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme scholarship is accessible here. Please fill this form (note: it is not necessary to fill out question 10!) and send it to a maximum of 2 Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Master courses of your choice. The admission criteria for each university differ a bit. Make sure that you meet the criteria of every university you apply to.
If you are applying for the Master of Development and Governance at the University Duisburg-Essen within the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme, the application form and all required documents have to be sent to: email@example.com
Required documents for application:
Due to the new announcement by DAAD, some formalities are slightly modified:
- Completed DAAD checklist form (please tick off the list), signed by hand (do not insert a scanned signature) with place and date indication
- Completed DAAD scholarship application form (note: it is not necessary to fill out question 10!)
- Letter of motivation, including a precise account of your academic, professional and personal reasons for wishing to participate in the programme, as well as a detailed explanation of your choice of master’s course(s), indicating in separate sentences why your first choice of master's course is your first choice, why your second choice is your second choice and how they will advance you academically and professionally, max. two pages long
- A curriculum vitae in reverse chronological order without any unexplained gaps (please use the europass template) with exact information about your studies and practical experience, including the date of issue.
Please note that we require at least one year of full-time work experience in a relevant field for our master’s
- Copies of your higher education degree certificates. Please provide a certified translation if the original is not in German or English, and make sure these are clearly legible.
- Applicants from China, India, and Vietnam are required to provide an APS certificate. For further information, please check the uni assist website.
- Copy of your full set of transcript of records including an explanation of the grading system. Please provide a certified translation if the original is not in German or English and make sure these are clearly legible
- Confirmation of relevant professional experience or internships and/or proof of relevant political activities or service to your community, such as volunteering or work for charities or NGOs, on headed paper, including an original (not scanned) or code certified digital signature, the date of issue and a stamp. If necessary, please provide a certified translation.
As mentioned above, we require at least one year of full-time work experience in a relevant field for our master’s
- Recent language certificates for English proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English must provide a recent language certificate (TOEFL or IELTS) giving evidence of their level of proficiency in English
- TOEFL: Paper based test: minimum score of 550; Computer based test: minimum score of 213; Internet based test: minimum score of 80
- IELTS: minimum score of 6.0
- Applicants can be exempted from this requirement only if they hold a bachelor’s or higher degree from an English-language college or university. Instead they are required to provide proof that English was the language of instruction and of all examinations of their degree course, issued by their previous university
- Current written reference from your current employer or from an university lecturer if you are a student at present, on headed paper, including an original (not scanned) or code certified digital signature, the date of issue and a stamp. If necessary, please provide a certified translation.
Format of digital applications
Applications must be submitted in one email, with one single pdf file attached.
Please do not send us more than a maximum of 45 text pages.
Keep the file size below 10 MB. We cannot consider attachments in rare file formats or archive formats (e.g. rar or zip) and we do not download files from filesharing platforms (e.g. dropbox).
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact our Admission Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org